Monday, February 4, 2008

February Update from the Browns

Dear Family of Trinity PCA,

I am reminded that "a man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his path." We were given the word in December that my unit would not be deploying in March; in fact, we will probably not deploy until March of '09. So, I now have the joy of learning more of the in's and out's of being a battalion chaplain in garrison! This is yet another example of God's goodness to the Brown's as we continue to assimilate into Army life (and Texas!). I still maintain a consistent counseling load, and I recently conducted my first marriage retreat. What a blast! I took 23 couples to a resort on Lake Travis and we enjoyed a glimpse at how "the other half" lives. Please continue to be in prayer for the families of my battalion who are struggling to survive. Also be in prayer for their chaplain. I feel confident that the retreat was helpful in some very practical ways; I ask you to pray that God would grant me more creativity in making it a more "redemptive" time with these couples. I want to help them improve in their communication skills, yes, but I want them to see the very real need of Christ in every aspect of life. So please, pray that the Lord of the harvest would call many of our military families to a saving knowledge of Christ.

Laurel and the kids are doing very well. There are the usual struggles of colds and allergies, but Texas is proving to be a good "first" duty station. We enjoyed the holidays and the different visits from family, but we have settled back into a good routine for '08. Laurel continues to participate in the post-wide bible study for the ladies and is also working with Child Evangelism Fellowship here on post. It will come as no surprise that she is steadily gathering a good network of "Army Wives" that always seem to be helping one another. I have been very encouraged to see how Laurel continues to assess, adjust, and improve with homeschooling and the other activities the kids are involved in. Caleb has enjoyed becoming a Tiger Cub Scout, while Emily is our Brownie Scout. Peter is now truly four. The other week Laurel took the kids to a new co-op that we now have the kids involved in, and during the introductions Peter's turn arrives, and he informs them, "Hi, I'm Peter, the mean one." Zeddie Grace is large and in charge. To no surprise, she is very verbal and all personality. The high point to my day is coming through the door to a chorus of "DADDDDYYYY!!!!" and to have little Zeddie tackle me at the knees.

The holiday visits were a tremendous blessing, but it made us miss our families and various "home" church families terribly. Laurel now has a page on Facebook, so you can get the latest on the Brown's on a more regular basis. Please continue to pray for God to grow all of us in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus, and that He would give us the opportunity to come home to Spartanburg for a visit. Thank you for your love and prayers...please keep it coming!

Your family in Christ,
Kyle, Laurel, Caleb, Emily, Peter, and Zeddie Grace

No comments: